Tips for your teens:
Anticipate problems that are likely to occur and give your children a chance use their self-calming skills. Have a cue that quickly and privately signals a child to use his relaxation skills to become calm or to focus. It could be a word, or a physical cue.
Helping You Help Your Child
Teach them to be active!
- Try to ensure that your child has at least thirty minutes of moderate-intensity exercise each day.
- Be a role model for an active lifestyle.
- Find fun, outdoor activities that you can do together as a family.
- Do slow sustained stretches in the evening before bed.
Teach them to turn it off!
- Limit television and video viewing time, as well as time spent playing video or computer games.
- TV shows, avoiding violent shows, those that are fast paced, and material that is inappropriate for your child’s age and level of maturity.
- Turn all electronic equipment off at least an hour before bed.